Thursday, August 21, 2008

Possible Alternative to VOIP and Skype International Calling.

I was surfing the web and came across a company called Rebtel claiming cheap to free international calling.

Well this sounds good to me so I had to ask around.

What Did Ya Find?

In one of the forums I go to I asked if anyone has used them, and how was the experience.

I was told they seem to work well and sound quality is good.
So I decided to make an account.

Sign Up Process.

Very easy and straight froward.
The way it works is you sign up for the service (you are given a free ten minutes at sign up). When you enter your information in the form you enter your phone number and create a pin.

The next form/screen will ask you for your friends information:

Name
Country
Phone Number
Email address
Language (only choices are English, Spanish, Polish, and French) This will be for the prompt when your friend is calling you.

Hows the service work?

Once your account is set up Rebtel will give you a local number in your friends country. So in Rebtels own words:

"You give us the phone number of a friend in another
country, and we give you a local number for them."
"Save this number on your mobile so you can call
your friend whenever you want, for a fraction of your
normal international rate."


So How Much $$$?

Rates seem very good. For my situation its the best so far.


So What About Free International Calling?

Rebtel offers free international calling..Yes it true....But not for everyone.

The way it works is if your in one of the Rebtel-Countrys and your friend is in a Rebtel-Country, then you have free international calling.

Ok.... So How Do I Do It?

Once again, in Rebtels own Words.

Call your friend on their Rebtel number.
Ask your friend to call you back. Tell them to use the number shown on their phone screen.
Stay on the line. Don't hang up! In a few seconds your friend will join you back on the call. (this part sounds strange, but do as it says)

Or you can just watch the Video.

Thats it.


So What Do You Think Of It?

To be honest I haven't tried it yet..... but I'm going to!!
I love the Idea and think it should add more value to my Skype/VOIP phone system.

So When Are You Going To Tell Us How Well It Works?

I'm going to need my wifes assistance on that. I dont think it will take all that long....maybe a week or two.

I'll let you know the wifes verdict as soon as we give it a go!

No comments: